Pages

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Strategies for Awareness ~ Epilepsy ~ Theme for March 2014


Well, it’s March again. Purple Day ~ or Epilepsy Awareness Day ~ is March 26 each year.
Low stress activity!

As some of you may know I’ve not been in the best of health these last couple of weeks. First it was a mild case of shingles, quickly replaced by a cold virus! While the minor symptoms of annoying coughing, sneezing and 'where's the kleenex!' have insisted on being at the forefront of my mind, there is always an additional concern. One that I’ve dealt with before and will likely deal with again ~ how do minor infections, colds and general ill health affect epilepsy?

In general there are two main things, outside of taking my medication regularly, to pay attention to:
~ Sleep quality and quantity
~ Stress minimization and management.

Any minor acute illnesses can affect both of these, so I need to upgrade the attention I pay to both these areas when in these times. I have mentioned in past posts what I have called my ‘jumps’.  I have since learned that they are called ‘drop seizures’ - and I did experience one of these a couple of days ago with no ill effects. 

Yes, I’ve been seizure free from grand mal seizures for over 14 years, but I am at greater risk for pesky ‘drop seizures’ in times of uncertain sleep, the added stress of just plain feeling cooped up in the house and wondering how long this nasty virus will last.

Strategies:
Take time off from work - I am fortunate that I am able to do this.
Sleep and nap more frequently.
Have very low stress activities (and plenty of YouTube) on hand.
Go outside for short walks, coffee with a friend (coffee very limited)
Eat regularly and drink lots of water (I’m good at the eating part, the drinking water part - not so much.) I do keep a lot of ready to eat foods in my fridge and cupboard that require little preparation. 
Go for short drives, only if necessary, later in the day when sure of being stable. 
And always remember: ‘This too shall pass!”

“Awareness requires living in the here and now, 
and not in the elsewhere, the past or the future.”
~ Eric Berne, Games People Play

No comments: