Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Intention vs Gremlins

Many pieces have been written for this blog. Some have come easily and some have come dragging out of me like recalcitrant children not wanting to go to school. None of them fine pieces of literature. All the while, I have enjoyed spinning tales or poems, throwing together an opinion piece, book reviews and musing about this, that or the other thing.

Tonight, and probably for the past ten years, my intention to develop a certain piece keeps running up against a very thick brick wall. What is each brick composed of? Nothing more solid than thoughts and old beliefs in my head. Troublesome gremlins that annoy and prevent me from writing about……well, I’ll keep quiet for now about what exactly that writing is.

So tonight, my task was to write, not for publication anywhere, a piece of just a few hundred words, on the subject of my concern. Three hundred and twelve words written over several hours - I just love the delete button on the computer. Back up, try that sentence again. No, that’s not good enough. The conversation in my head was really quite busy. A short walk shook some of the words into place.

I’ll leave it be for tonight and return tomorrow to see how much sense it makes.  My intention remains fixed, the gremlins quieted for tonight. Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

“Silencing the brain’s ramblings gives the 
chance for wonderful thoughts to blooms.”
~ Steven Redhead, The Solution




No comments: