Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

"Good on ya!" Victoria Athletic Club

Each year the Victoria Athletic Club, holds a Christmas Party for all the members and has a draw for several valuable door prizes. (Three of the draws are for Thai massage - I didn’t win any!) On top of that, they collect donations in food or dollars from each of us to go to the Mustard Seed Society here in Victoria, in a genuine spirit of giving. 

Attending tonight’s party was, for me, stepping out of my comfort zone. First, I went on my own, assuming with my fingers crossed that some of my Aquafit class would be there. Secondly, I was tempted to stay at home, which is what I too often do to keep myself small and away from the world. 

My cynical, or maybe realistic, side says ‘What a marketing tool!’ and I suppose that this party and all it’s accoutrements is a fair bit of shrewd marketing.

But my more caring side says ‘Good on ya’! The mounds and bags of donated food stuffs that were loaded on one of the large carts that carry the luggage of tourists and travellers will be welcomed at the tables of many in this city that can’t just go to the store as frequently as many of us - or maybe not at all.

The community of exercisers and swimmers, practitioners of yoga and Pilates, was a community I hadn’t seen in anything but spandex swimsuits and sweat stained t-shirts or track suits. Here we were - all dressed up for this lovely evening of great prizes, lots of conversation and laughter, good food, a variety of beverages and an opportunity for gift giving.

“It takes each of us to make a difference for all of us.”
~ Jackie Mutcheson

No comments: