Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Storied Painting

'The Old and the New'
A Storied Painting” is from the timed writing exercise at Writer’s Ink yesterday afternoon. We were given ten minutes to write a story or poem about the painting that accompanies this post.
The part in italics was written within the time limit - on my cell phone with one finger. I added the remainder that was my full vision, at the time of the exercise, to tell the story of the hard work and reward of many farmers and gardeners - but ran out of time. Each of our members had a very different, and interesting, perspective of these two people.

Here is:

A Storied Painting
Broad shouldered, their backs to us, they set off to the fields for the day. I had no idea how to prepare the evening meal but Gerda had given me instructions for the supper menu. Gerda had packed a substantial lunch - sandwiches made with her homemade bread. The sandwiches were filled with generous slices of delicious roasted tongue topped with thick slabs of cheese from their own dairy. For supper, I was to boil potatoes, cook peas and fry up a big pan of sausages. A simple meal but I did wish that I was the one to go to the fields and Gerda had stayed at home. 

Preparation included a garden fork and a large basket. The potatoes needed to be dug from long rows of wilted potato plants in the sunny garden - then washed, cut in quarters and put on to boil. The peas were to be picked, filling the basket completely. Sitting on the back step the peas were shelled, then washed and boiled. Gathering spices from the herb garden - tarragon, chives, garlic, rosemary  - were to be added according to Gerda’s recipes.


I had begun the day with no inspiration and only the motivation to return the kindness of my hosts. Gathering all the food for the evening meal, I had come to realize that all of the food in their home was truly the result of their many labours. After such a day, I was so very pleased to serve such a lovely meal.

“Agriculture and food is an area where everyone can 
begin today. That is why the garden is so important. It teaches
us that there’s something we’re all capable of doing.”
~ Vandana Shiva

Water colour painting titled:
The Old and the New
Artist:  Rosa Penzotti (unsure of last name spelling)

No comments: