Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Great Expectations

Here are two pictures, both of them a finished crocheted project. Of course the one in book was made, I am certain, by someone who had been crocheting for years and very expertly.  The other, of which I am very proud, is the same pattern, done about 20 years ago for a colleague and her new baby. Until then I had not used patterns, so it was like reading a different language. With the advent of a new baby for friends, I decided to do another because the first one was so pretty.

I have been working for several hours in the last two days on the blanket and have only the very center completed - the very first row (a bit bigger than the size of a quarter). My great expectation was that long term memory would suffice to allow me to just get the yarn, the hook and the pattern and just crochet to my heart’s content. Not so! I guess 20 years isn’t long term enough for memory.

But, I am persistent, stubborn and know I can do this!  My expectations of myself and my ability to learn continue to run high!

“Expectation wasn’t just about what people expected of you. 
It was about what you expected of yourself.”
~ Brandon Sanderson, Words of Radiance

No comments: