Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

First Day of Addictions Nursing Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina

Today was a full day of pre-conference starting at 0800.  We had a couple of breaks in the morning, an hour for lunch and then an short break in the afternoon. This workshop I attended was a review for the Certified Addictions Nurse's exam. I must admit, my experience has taught me much. I felt a bit overwhelmed by the credentials, letters and titles of my colleagues in the rooms. Each of us working in different areas and at different levels of Addictions Nursing. Addiction is the same in Victoria as in the United States. The drugs are the same, the drug classes are the same - only the names and the ways they are being used are different. That includes the pharmaceuticals that are used to treat withdrawal, and early sobriety from drugs. Addiction and alcoholism is the same, but only health care laws and structures are constantly evolving and changing. I did hear much more about laws and protocols in the United States. However, there are ethical similarities between our countries.

Do I have a problem with using drugs to treat an addiction? I definitely do, and at same time see their benefit and necessity in some situations. However, it can be too easy to forget about other ways to help those that suffer from this dreadful and potentially tragic condition. In the next few days, we will be learning about other ways to manage addiction care.

After the conference, after putting my feet up for a little while, I took a walk with a new acquaintance. She and I went to Target and then for supper at Chipolte's for a huge burrito and a taco bowl. A lovely walk on a clear calm evening. Walking back into the hotel, music and a full restaurant/lounge were melded and full of energy. I took myself up here to the 15th floor to have a quiet evening with the television and my i-pad.

"Each day is filled with promise, potential and possibility."
~ Tony Curl

No comments: