Pages

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Good On Ya!

There is at least one person out there that remembers the night shifts as a student nurse. Young women in charge of wards full of sick patients who believed in the nursing staff and their care. The catch was that those nurses were young women who just might have been more nervous in their starched uniforms than having a strong inner feeling of confidence. New knowledge of healing and healthcare encouraged and supported the confidence of youth felt a bit wobbly.

Tonight was an especially long shift. As I was finishing I thought about the two young nurses taking over from me. Neither looked nervous. Both looked confident. So I was confident in the care our patients would receive. I so respect the bravery of all the young nurses that are stepping forward into the fascinating and challenging world of nursing.

“Panic plays no part in the training of a nurse.”
~ Elizabeth Kenny

No comments: