Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Reflections on What If?

Reflecting on The Women's March yesterday, I’ve asked a couple of questions. Of course, when I awoke this morning, my biggest question before I put my feet on the floor was - will my legs work? And my feet? Quickly I learned that all was well in that department.

But all is still not well in the world of political change. The Women’s March yesterday was peaceful, welcoming and safe. A gentleman next to me commented that he had not seen any police presence. When I asked some of the others around me, I was told that they had seen ‘one’ or ‘two’ walking casually through the crowd. When the March began, and as it proceeded, I did see police. They were quiet and respectful with their job to ensure there were no traffic difficulties. An aside - the motorists were as respectful, many waving to us, honking in solidarity.

Back to the police and my questions. I thought of the scenes from evening news reports showing riots and violence. People being dragged away, fires set and property destroyed. People being handcuffed and violently arrested. And I wondered ‘what if’? What if the March yesterday had turned from peaceful to ugly? How would I have reacted?

Standing up for a belief is relatively easy in a large peaceful crowd. Cheering each other on, singing and chanting. Would I run away? Would I sit down and hold my space in the knowledge that my principles were important? Would I freeze and not know what to do? Hopefully, I will never have to find out. 

What I was grateful for was the peaceful nature of everyone involved. Marchers and police, spectators and those unable to join us. Yes, there were hand lettered signs with which I disagreed. I have never agreed with ridicule of any other. It seems ineffective, cruel, and very counter productive. But that’s just me. So, what would I do? I really don’t know, however it has made me think about what I would be willing to do or say for my principles. What I do know is that, to the best of my ability, today I live my beliefs.

“You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth 
or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you.”
~ C.S.Lewis

No comments: