Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Career Moves

I might have been 
An operating room nurse
I liked the strict order 
But couldn’t see the patient
For sheets and drapes

I might have been
A paediatric nurse
I love children
But couldn’t tolerate
Their pain and bravery

I might have been
An orthopaedic nurse
I loved the mechanics
But couldn’t fix the reasons
Behind injuries caused.

I might have been
A physical rehabilitation nurse
And that was closer to my heart
Because I could support recovery
From all kinds damaging events

I might have been
A nurse specializing
In any other health care field
Because I saw the needs of many
But I saw one cause roaming throughout each specialty

I did decide to become
An addictions nurse
Specializing in withdrawal management
- not just detox - not just sobering up
But the priniciples of basic nursing care in all areas of nursing.

I occasionally am honoured to be
A nurse educator of these principles ~
A mentor to a nursing student
As they pass a day or maybe more
Learning about the beginnings of recovery.

“I’ve learned that making a ‘living’ is not the same thing as ‘making a life’.”
~ Maya Angelou

No comments: