Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Choosing Courage

Choosing Courage

Artfully creating personal choices at this time of day is impossible! Today’s ‘personal choices’? What the heck do I wear to this interview? I have two choices. My new black dress that I was hoping to save for a romantic date - that may or may not ever materialize. And my old red dress, much more casual. I’m so tired of it I want to throw it out. I suppose I’ve got time to decide. It’s six o’clock in the morning and my interview isn’t until three o’clock this afternoon.

Rachel picked up her coffee cup. The coffee was weak, but at least it was hot. She really needed the job. The pay wasn’t great but it was more than she was making now. Two kids and rent and groceries and utilities and…...Rachel lost count. Balancing it all was too much..too much. Tears tipped over tired eyelids. She laughed bitterly. At least I don’t have my makeup on yet. Pulling her old blue fleece bathrobe tightly, she took her coffee to the window to watch the sunrise. The kids weren’t awake yet. The house was quiet. The squeak of wheels the only sound from the street. Rachel felt a jolt of fear, then a tiny bit of gratitude blossomed. The woman pushing the overloaded shopping cart looked older than her. The dress she wore Rachel couldn’t see, hidden by the old oversize coat she was wearing. Her shoes were boots that had seen better days many years ago. Rachel’s coffee had grown cold as she stared.

Okay. So I need to ‘artfully create a choice’ today - isn’t that how my mom put it? The only grocery cart I’m going to push is when I'm at the grocery store. I’m getting that job today. My red dress will more than ‘just do’. I have scarves and shoes…...shoes…..they need polishing. My gold stud earrings will be perfect. "Kids! It’s time to get up. I’m cooking breakfast. You’ve got 30 minutes to get to the table. The bus is here early this morning so you have to be ready soon. Your dad’s picking you up after school. We’re all going to meet for supper at Grandma’s house. Let’s go!"

“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, 
but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who 
does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”
~ Nelson Mandela

Author's note: Edited February 05, 2024

No comments: