Pages

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Waves and Motorcycles

Waves and Motorcycles

‘Naturally ridin’ life’s waves is the only way to get through a day.’ Grandpa Joe was patient with little Ethan. ‘Take a look at those waves out there. Pretty wild, aren’t they? If those waves were comin’ at me, I’d be gettin’ out of the water in a hurry or they’d be takin’ me under! See on the inside of the breakwater. Those waves are movin’ a bit, but at least if I fell overboard, I’d be able to paddle to the dock.’

‘But Grandpa, I just don’t get it. Those guys look so cool! And look at their bikes! What has that got to do with waves?’ Ethan looked up at his grandfather, his blue eyes innocent and curious.

‘Honey, have you ever seen ‘em ride together all at once?’

‘I sure have and they look pretty awesome. Their bikes all shiny and roaring. Serious looking guys! And some of them even have teddy bears on their bikes. Did you ever ride a motorcycle, Grandpa?

‘Didn’t I ever show you the picture of me and my bike? It’s out in the garage. Let’s go home and take a look? Those rides were like ridin'  the waves on the bay on a windy day. Balancin' around each curve, leanin' into them or standin’ straight. Hmm...hmm.” Grandpa lost himself in his memories.

Ethan, his short steps trying to match his Grandpa’s slow stride, followed his hero to the car? Tugging on his Grandpa’s coat, Ethan brought him back. ‘Do you think mom would let me have a motorcycle when I grow up? If you taught me how to ride?’

‘Well, son, we sure can ask her. For now while you’re growin’ up, I’ll teach what I know about waves and motorcycles.”

“The wave is the signature of every experience of life. By understanding 
the nature of waves and their characteristics, and applying that 
understanding to our lives, we can navigate life with a little more grace.”
~ Jeffery R. Anderson, 
The Nature of Things-Navigating Everyday Life with Grace

No comments: