Pages

Monday, May 29, 2017

To Walk or Not to Walk

Since mid April when the frame on my car was damaged, I have been using other forms of transportation. Initially, it was just because I didn’t have a car at my disposal. As the days passed, I did realize that I was still unnerved about being in the midst of all the traffic - those huge moving pieces of metal guided by drivers of all ages, abilities and awareness. But more than that I have watched the traffic, the cars and the trucks, cyclists, busses and felt comfortable that I have not been part of that busyness. Environmentally I can also do my part, even if is is infinitesimal, by reducing gas emissions into the environment. And of course there’s all the expenses of a car - maintenance, registration, gas, parking……. 

Mondays are days for walking and Aquafit and now, more walking.  The weather is making walking very pleasant, indeed. Victoria has excellent transit so really I have little need for a vehicle. I’ve put on hold owning another vehicle for now. That unfortunate incident in April has provided me with an opportunity. A chance to begin reading a new chapter. Who knows what other opportunities will open in the coming days and weeks?

Addendum: February 08, 2024: Finally, age, epilepsy and family considerations completely tipped the balance.

My epilepsy is quite stable due to medication and to life style choices. Knowing the potential for other neurological events can occur which could upset the stability of this chronic condition, I took it into consideration. While still able to drive, I could see that I had an opportunity to let go of my keys before my family had to wrench them from my stubborn hands. At the time of the accident in 2017, I was 69 years old. At this writing I am 76 years old and have been using transit and taxi for the most part. If I ride with a friend for any distance I contribute to their gas costs. It is still difficult for me to ask for a ride, but I'm getting there. I still prefer the independence of transit or taxi. 

“Not knowing when the dawn will come I open every door.”
~ Emily Dickinson, The Complete Poems

Author's note: Edited and addendum added February 08, 2024

No comments: