Pages

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Firestorm - 3

Dense, abundant greenery spreads roots deep in soil tossed and turned and packed by ancestors and ages,
massive oaks and scrubbly brush intertwine with edges of tiny flowers and frail wild orchids
ferns pluming into underbrush and nestled proudly beside the fallen,
along paths made by communities of animals and man
all growing up to sun rays that forever
spread through blue skies, filters of thinning clouds,
banks of thickening, billowing dark clouds
white streaks hinting at electric storms to come
bringing wild winds, slashing rain
unable to quench wild fires that leap and burn.

                             ~~~~~

Epilepsy, unchecked and unnoticed, 
brings it’s own firestorm with little warning
electric misfires deep in soft brain jelly.
A hot spot never extinguished
merely dimmed down, dumbed down
by medication and meditation
by sleeping and waking 
by stepping forward and settling back
with timelines that line through the times

Epilepsy burrows under 
the giant ancestors, the tiniest flowers and 
the most gracious ferns
to erupt in a firestorm of sparks and flames and destruction.

Epilepsy spreads like wildfire, 
but only if fuel is there to burn
Where is the fuel?
What is the fuel?
Only I could find what fuelled my epilepsy
Was that seed of destruction my fault?
Were the seizures that boomed and cracked my fault?
NO! 
Merely an extra special responsibility
mine to mold, to develop and to refine
in firm kindness and genuine respect of
my life with this unwelcome guest.

Epilepsy is the seed that spreads the weeds unless
my health and my ego is taught how to behave
Even so there are some whose epilepsy is more unruly
more unpredictable
more fiery with hot spots so hot
they are hard to handle despite
keeping faith with the rigours of health and happiness

I have grown unfamiliar with
unpredictability every day.
Now I only know my epilepsy as 
dimmed down and dumbed down
so I can live and can love without fear.

“I can hear your whisper and distant mutter. 
I can smell your damp on the breeze and 
in the sky I see the halo of your violence. 
Storm I know you are coming.”
~ Robert Fanney, author

No comments: