Pages

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Puppy Love

Puppy Love

My heart feels sore tonight. Sore as though someone had punched it hard. My breath is coming slowly and painfully and tears fall from my eyes. There is no one I miss more than my little dog, Ben. Little Ben that I kept with me since I was 8 years old. Little dogs live a long time you know. Little Ben was 23 years old when he slept away. I guess that made me almost 31.  I sure had to put up a fuss to get my parents to agree to having a dog. They were so afraid they’d wind up taking care of Little Ben. And they did, while I was away at University. Once I was out on my own, I kept him with me. He’d go to Mom and Dad’s for sleep overs sometimes and when I got married, he became our family dog.  

Now, why did I get all moody and teary tonight? Little Ben has been gone for a few years now. He was so good with our baby but was gone before she was two or three. She’s 8 years old now and we’ve just had ‘the talk’. Not the birds and the bees talk, but the talk about taking care of a new puppy. Not leaving it up to Daddy and Mommy. 

Once I put Samantha to bed, and the house was quiet I picked up the picture of Little Ben that we keep on the mantel piece. I guess that’s when I felt the soreness in my heart. He was such a sweet and kind little dog. Little Ben licked all the tears off my face, curled up with me when I was sad and played with me when I was happy. He loved to run and spin around and make me laugh. Hadn’t been able to do that for many years, although he did try, but gave up after even a half hearted attempt, found his bed and went to sleep.

Samantha will get her little dog - or a big one - or a medium sized one. We just didn’t want to give in too quickly.  It will be fun to have a new puppy in the home. A new personality to cuddle and love, and get twice as much love in return. All kids should grow up with a friend as good as a dog, but then that’s just my opinion. 

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
~ Dean Koontz

No comments: