Pages

Saturday, September 8, 2018

Buried Treasure

Buried Treasure

My little yellow plastic shovel
broke when I tried to dig deep
~ they told me it was only sand. I scraped away the sand
looking for dirt that would
let my big strong orange plastic shovel go deeper but it too broke when I tried to dig deep so I scraped away that layer to only find rock that made me cry ~ not the rock in the rocking chair where I felt held and warm but hard rock ~ not hard rock candy that tastes sweet and breaks your teeth but real hard earth rock that I had to break on my own 
to find the jewels that were my dreams ~
the jewels I pressed down and away
under the loose sand, soft dirt, and rocks
until they became diamonds, rubies and emeralds.
I cried my tears of frustration until a great *Gift of Desperation flooded my heart ~ desperation that stood me up and sent me to my dad’s tool kit for a hammer and chisel so that rock was rocked with the wisdom of my ancestors until bright edges of glitter and reds and greens glinted and grew bright before my eyes. My dreams may have been buried but they had been safely buried under life's sand and dirt and rock til I was strong enough to let them breathe the air of my spirit and my soul.

“Every adventure requires a compass, curiosity, a journey, 
a creative mind and someone willing to play.”
~ Shannon L. Alder

*Gift of Desperation - quotation from Anne Lamott, author

No comments: