Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2018

A Writer? Me?

If I were a writer ~ a writer of talent and wit ~ my words would flow as the ocean at high tide and the speckled pebbles on shore would ruffle with the music of the tide going out.

If I were a writer ~ a blank page would not daunt me
but that blank page would challenge me to sharpen my pencil, put new ink in my pen,
plug in my computer and dive into the canvas before me.

If I were a real writer ~ agents and publishers would 
be knocking at my door begging me for one more
drop of my great wisdom and creativity
and I would pull out a finished manuscript and gift them.

If I were a writer? Oh. I guess I’ve just written this poem!
And ~ on a blank page that has been challenging me!
No, there are no agents or publishers in sight
and no finished manuscript in sight, but that doesn’t matter ~

Because I am a growing writer ~ of sorts ~
with no dreams or expectations of being great but 
I sharpen my pencils, use up my pens and
plug in my computer each day ready to play.

Because I am a writer ~ I dive into blank pages 
to imagine what if’s and what could be,
to tell a story or to rant about injustice
because that’s the job that I do each day.

“If you wish to be a writer, write.”
~ Epictetus

2 comments:

Connie Frey said...

Yes, you write just as a dancer dances, and any insistence that she perform for others couldn't eliminate one single motion! Glad you know that 'writing's the thing'!

Susan Ward said...

Got your email this morning. Thank you! - I may have recognized your hand but your email confirmed it. I've been particularly intrigued by Spoken Word poetry because of it's rhythm and energy so your words 'you write just as a dancer dances' are real gold stars!