Pages

Monday, November 26, 2018

Birth Days



On my birthday, I think
of the child that was born
swimming into a foreign world
greeting it with cries and smiles
intuitive trust for those around
not knowing the life that was to come or that life has a beginning or an end only that big faces come with bottles; that when I cried my discomfort I would soon feel clean, calmed and comforted.



My mom's hand wrote these words
on the back of the photo


On anyone’s birthday, I think
of the child that was born
to a family of love or loss
with all its ups and downs
no knowledge of riding the waves
only intuition, instinct, the ability to learn and the desire to be loved and belong ~ helpless to do more than just be ~ absorbing life's peace and not so peaceful for life beyond the womb shaped over time and growth.





“They should tell you when you’re born: 
have a suitcase heart, be ready to travel.”
~ Gabrielle Zevin

No comments: