Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2018

A Long Overdue Letter to Santa Claus

Dear Santa,
I’m not sure I should be writing you this letter. It’s been over 60 years since the last time I wrote, but I’ve been thinking a lot about you lately. Partly because it’s Christmas and your namesakes are all over the place. But partly because I miss Christmas morning and the brown stockings filled with nuts, candy and an orange in the toe. Did you really eat all the cookies and milk at everyone’s house? 

But that’s not what I wanted to ask about. I have everything I need and most things I want. But there is one thing that I have always wanted. It’s been a secret. I want a kitchen - a big kitchen. My own kitchen with all the gadgets I want. If I told you the truth, besides gadgets, I would like it to be a really big kitchen ~ did I mention that already? Two refrigerators - or one really big one. Two ovens, one at eye level and one an ordinary one. And a gas range. I want room for a table in the middle of my big kitchen and a pantry. With big windows facing west on one side and east on the other side.

Well that’s all I want and really I don’t expect it. Not because I don’t think you couldn’t get it here in time, but I really don’t know what I’d do with all that space. I guess I just wanted to write  one more letter to you.

Your friend, Susan

P.s. Of course, there would need to be a corner designed with a window seat with book shelves lined with cookbooks.

P.P.S. And if it’s not too much to ask, my kitchen would have to be in a little cottage complete with a writing room with a roll top desk.

P.P.P.S. Would it be lacking wisdom if I asked for a weekly maid service as well …..and a garden for vegetables and flowers? (Complete with gardener.)

Susan

“Only now have you lived long enough 
to know the child that you shall always remain.”
~ Martin I. Green, Santa: My Life and Times

No comments: