Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Gingerbread Showcase 2018 - Victoria, BC

Victorian Noel
created by Karen Peachey

Today, it is blustery and pouring buckets of cold rain from skies gray and foreboding. Saturday, the day I attended two Christmas season fundraisers, was a bit cloudy. A shade warmer but no rain. A good day for a stroll through downtown Victoria. I had already seen the Tuba Christmas, which I posted yesterday morning. I stopped for delicious lunch of gruyere quiche, chocolate dipped oatmeal shortbread and coffee at *Fol Epi about half-way along to see this year’s Gingerbread Showcase. After being warmed and fed, I set out to the annual Gingerbread Showcase held this year at the Parkside Hotel & Spa at 810 Humbolt Street. The Gingerbread Showcase is a fund raiser for Habitat for Humanity.

A West Coast Island Christmas
created by Cari Miller

The Gingerbread Showcase is their ‘premier’  fundraiser and brings together professional and amateur bakers from Vancouver Island. This year there were 25 entries ~ each with their own detail and creativity in edible art. Unfortunately I only have room to show three of them as each of them deserved attention. This year’s theme is ‘There’s No Place Like Home.’ These creations, from humble to grand, whimsical to playful, must meet specific criteria as these are judged by a select group of judges and later on by the public. In a space of 24” x 24”, all components ~ rocks, people, trees, anything included in the setting for the Gingerbread House ~ must be edible to be judged formally.


I have attended other Gingerbread Showcases in the past few years and have always been impressed by the design and execution if these homes. One house (not shown here) was inspired by a family home that had burned down. The bakers created a charming replica of the house, yard and a couple of the family members. Wizard of Oz and Harry Potter inspired Gingerbread homes held the attention of many in the crowd. Sadly, I missed the Harry Potter home due to the interested crowd and the small space accommodating the number of entries. However, this event is held until January 2, 2019 so I must get back to see what I have missed. Choosing my favourite was a task that was very difficult as they were all my favourites until I saw the next one. I don’t remember which one I voted for ~ it may have been the West Coast Island Christmas. But as I said, I missed a couple so I may have missed my ‘favourite’.

The Pawer of RUV created by The Team from
Love of Dogs and Cats Organic Treats

There really is no place like home - a home where there is a real life with laughter, understanding  and tears, home cooked food and music ~ and maybe even the wisdom of a dog or cat. The house doesn’t need to be grand or filled with things. Seeing all these gingerbread homes, is a walk through of all the potential of a home. My wish is for such a home for each of us wherever we have landed in this life.




“Winter is a time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch 
of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”
~ Edith Stillwell

No comments: