Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

My Christmas Experiment

It was a success. And I’m stuffed and maybe a little bit wiser. Today was all about food and at the same time all about family. When I peeled the apples for an apple pie this morning, I thought of my mom and of a very dear friend. Making breakfast of sausages, eggs and bacon, I thought of my dad. Turkey preparation, my son Jason the master of the roast turkey. Cabbage rolls, my dear 'second' mom Olga and my son Jeff a mentor and mentee of cabbage roll heaven. Each food prepared had a memory connection to someone in my family so they were all here with me ~ I was just alone when it came to the eating of it all. Well, not all ~ my fridge and freezer filled up with leftovers.

There have been many times I have been afraid of memories….afraid that only the uncomfortable or sad memories will show up to cloud my day. Today, those memories were only granted seconds before I smiled into the joy when my paring knife slid smoothly beneath the apples skin. This has been a good Christmas with conversations, either by text, FaceTime or phone call, with several of my dear family members. 

(By the way - I ate butter tarts before brunch and apple pie before my turkey supper. No food rules allowed.)

“When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things - 
not the great occasions - give off the greatest glow of happiness.”
~ Bob Hope

2 comments:

christine westland said...

Even the dishes I use bring memories I had my Mom's gravy boat which I remember using always at dinner. Not just Xmas but everyday. I have an odd assortment of serving dishes each representing a different era of my life from the Royal Albert wedding present in 1980, to a fake Wedgewood from my new husband's aunt, a bowl I won at at a fundraiser at Queen Alexandra's hospital and a bowl I bught at a garage sale. All bring back memories of happy dinners celebrating holidays, family and friends and life in general. Thanks for the blog....

Susan Ward said...

Just saw your comment today Christine! Thanks so much. I have an odd assortment of serving dishes as well that will not leave my cupboard - used when I can. Good to see you on Facebook.