Pages

Saturday, February 16, 2019

One Huge Surprise!

Let us not be sad
but grateful, glad and willing to 
step into the night.
Time for tears at home………

That is what I planned to write. But that was Thursday evening, before my huge surprise Friday afternoon. My nursing shift went as usual ~ report, organize my work, plan for an admission to Detox at ten, medications, collaborate with physician, nurses, addictions workers and, of course, patients. Lunch then……oh heavens, I’m supposed to meet with the coordinator at 2:30 and I am so behind and clients need attention. I tried to reschedule but she was insistent and gave me 10 minutes to wrap up and get ready for the next shift. More confusion - ‘Walk with me over here. We’ll meet on the other unit.’ So I followed obediently…………the door opened to a room full of staff, food, laughter and a retirement tea in my honour. I was completely and truly surprised. Staff from the Umbrella Society were also part of the huge surprise, and so very welcome. It was absolutely amazing and lovely and so very unexpected. A small and precious part of the great multi-disciplinary team, both inpatient and outreach teams. I have had the pleasure and honour of serving with them over the past fourteen years. We have shared so many stories, faces and people ~ joys and sorrows ~ it was almost overwhelming.

In the photo is an intriguing basket of cookies ~ somewhat worse for the bus ride home ~ but waiting for me to enjoy. They are shaped and decorated like various symbols of nursing ~ a syringe, a red cross, pills and the letters that spell my name.

Thank you all for a really great ride! See you all in the community. And of course ~ my final shift is today. Sunday begins my next journey.

“Our brightest blazes of gladness are commonly 
kindled by unexpected sparks.”
~ Samuel Johnson, The Idler; Poems

No comments: