Pages

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Life Sculpture

Early this morning, as I wrote in my journal, I realized I was living in constant apology. That doesn’t do it justice. It has taken me a long time to realize that Victoria is a jewel. I may finally been wooed by this beautiful snowfall into this frame of mind, but never the less Victoria is a jewel. There is a price to pay for being handed this gift. Not the price of dollars and cents, although costs here are high for food and shelter. We live, rather inconveniently sometimes, on an island that does cut us off somewhat when the weather challenges our ferries. Another price to pay. 

The biggest price is that of flowers and snow wrapped in fragile grey paper of apology, tied up with the tiniest bit of silver guilt feelings. In the spring and summer, beautiful plants grow early and in abundance. Fall flows through the weeks gradually passing into winter without much notice except for gold and red foliage. Deepening mists settle in Victoria’s parks. In winter, it is usually rain and cloud, often cheered on by winds. And there is a second apology for that hovering darkness and cold wet.

Apologies are to the rest of Canada suffering long cold winters for sharing with information freely. Our cold is uncomfortable for many. Our snow can be slushy dangerous watery snow beneath the pillows and blankets of snow. But I love the snow. I spent this afternoon trudging with a friend in deep snow - only running shoes on my feet. Visiting the park heavily laden with snow, snowmen inhabited the deepest snow, a couple rolled a great ball of snow down a hill and a young man was creating a snow sculpture, one of several he has planned. 



The other apology? To Victorians that grew up in the rain and the dark that love this weather. I am sorry that I do not like rain and grey week after week, when it blots out the sun and gets me cold and wet.We live in service to the weather, wherever we are and wherever we have come from. The weather dictates our lives, even the weather we were born to.





“A change in the weather is sufficient to recreate the world and ourselves.”
~ Marcel Proust, The Guermantes Way

No comments: