Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 58 - Man to Man - Situationally Theirs



July 03, 2020
Review, Edit and Update
While there were no typo's or punctuation issues, I did write in many more details regarding story development and dialogue, specifically Samuel's speech patterns. It required an addition of about 200 words. 


Man to Man

A blustery day, Dez walked with Matt out towards the apple orchard at the back of the property. They had to pass the toolshed on the way. “Matt, I know nothing about this orchard and little about apples except that they taste good. But there is one man on this property that knows a lot more than most about this orchard. His name is Samuel. He doesn’t talk much unless he gets going about something that interests him.” Dez recounted the story Samuel told her about the original beehives and a very young apple orchard.

“So his grandfather told him this story?”

“Yes, and he swears it’s true. Digby even says it’s true. His father told him so when Digby was a teenager. I need to go up to the house to see when Cook wants to have supper…..You are staying for supper, aren’t you?…..I’ll introduce you to Samuel before I go up and you can talk while I’m talking to Cook.” Dez didn’t know whether she wanted Matt to accept a supper invitation or not,. She wanted him to stay, but she didn’t want all the teasing she would get from Cook afterwards. “Isn’t he a good looking young man?” So she didn’t push Matt in one direction or another.

“Supper?…..I’d love to stay, I’ve been getting tired of my own cooking with all the restaurants just opened on Tuesday. And I’d really like to have a good home cooked meal.” Dez’s heart flipped and it flopped. But she was a big girl and apparently a mature woman, so she could handle Cook. Or at least stay out of her way for a couple of days. 

“Wonderful! I’ll tell Cook while I’m up there to set another place.” Dez also knew she would hear a character assessment - or assassination - of Matt after he had left the estate.

“So this Samuel maybe knows more about the trees? The one time I was out here with you when you thought you saw a ghost, I did see the orchard. A quick look told me that trees at the front of the orchard are not that old and seem to have been taken care of, but not for a long time. If there is any disease in the back of the orchard, it may have spread.” 

“Will we have to get rid of all the trees? Can we just spray them?”

“Remember, if you’re going to have bees, there has to be very limited pesticide  use or none at all.”

“Here’s Samuel. ‘Samuel, I’d like you to meet Matt Hamilton. He has an apple orchard as well as an apiary on the other side of Hartley.’  ‘Matt, this is Samuel, Emmie’s yardman, gardener and all around jack of all trades.’

It was natural for Samuel to keep his distance from new people, so the fact that Matt stood well distanced was not a problem. On the other hand, Samuel felt more confident that he may be able to trust this new person. 

“I’ll see you two later. Samuel do you need anything from the kitchen? No? I’ll be back.”
~~~~~

There was a long silence while the two men studied each other. Samuel set his dirt encrusted tools in his old wheelbarrow. He brushed the dirt from his hands on his jeans. "Let's go take a look at them trees.”

“Samuel, I need to know about the trees. Not the orchard, but the trees.”

“Good. That’s what I’m about to tell you.” As if reading each other’s mind, they both turned and walked to the back of the orchard. 

“Orchard only covers about five acres. It’s not a big’un.” 

“That’s what Dez told me. But she really couldn’t tell me much more than that. What I’ve seen is younger healthier tress at the front. As we walk to the back I’m seeing a bit more disease.”

“And these old trees haven’t felt the trim of pruning shears for far too long.”

“Do you know where the oldest tree is?”

“Sure do. I even got a hiding because of somethin’ I did when I was a boy.”

“Really? Show me.”

It’s this one all the way to the back. I used to come in here and play when I was a youngster. Them days are long gone.” Samuel  chuckled. “That ol' tree was my favourite. See that one with the big flat rock right beside it?”

“A flat rock?..... oh, yes - I see it” Matt followed the line from Samuel's gnarled fingers.

“Nobody’s tried pullin' that big speckled thing out. Possible now with a big tractor. She's pretty far back for big equipment.”

“So what did you do to get a hiding?” Matt liked Samuel. He didn't spend a lot of time with words, but you never had to guess what he meant.

Samuel was over by the old tree. He beckoned to Matt. “Here. Look up there, Matt. See that little scar on the lead branch. You can barely see it anymore. Well, I had me a penknife that my gran’pappy gave me for Christmas. Y’see, I’d climb up there on that rock and then shinny up the tree. It was already an old apple tree. No one knew who planted it or when. Growin' all by itself, it started this orchard. See these four or five trees around back here? All from cuttin's that first Mr.Beaufort took. Babied and planted 'em. Some planted were a nice breakfast for deer wanderin' past.  My grand’pappy rounded up some wire fence and wrapped it all around those that were spared. Grand'pappy and ol' Mr. Beaufort worked and worked to get the orchard started.”

“Good for them. Those two sound like quite a pair. There doesn’t look to be too much disease on the trees. Well, maybe that one that's sort of off on it’s own. It’s too early in the year to start any pruning. Maybe the shoots close to the bottom.” Matt was fascinated by not just the trees, but by Samuel and his obvious affection for them.

“I suppose clearing all the grass and weeds would make 'em happy. Better drinkin' water.” As he spoke, Samuel was pulling away the overgrowth from his childhood climbing tree.

“Taking that one tree out would make a nice little clearing for the beehives.” Matt had noticed one of the old trees was especially diseased. So much leaf damage the tree looked lacy. He walked over to examine it more closely. "Samuel come take a look."  

"Yep, we better get a tree doctor out here. More disease thru' here." The two men went tree to tree, nodding, talking, pointing, laughing obviously enjoying each other's company.


~~~~~

Dez had returned to the orchard. But when she saw the two men talking with such animation, she stood still and just listened. “Dez! I didn’t see you there. Samuel’s been telling me about his favourite climbing tree. He showed me the oldest trees. There’s one that will have to be taken out….it’s that one over on its own. The trunk is sounding hollow, lots of leaf damage and really sparse leafing. I suspect the other trees are affected. Samual says some of the trees haven’t put on any apples for years.”

“It does seem you two got along just fine. What about the rest of the orchard? Can you recommend an expert, Matt? ” Dez was concerned. Another big expense she had to tell Emmie about.

“We didn’t really finish examine the whole orchard - sorry about that -" Matt smiled sheepishly. "Samuel does tell a good story. But I there are some things you can get done in the next week or so. Oh, and I'll have a business card for the company that takes care of my trees. They should be able to give you a diagnosis for your orchard." Matt was flipping through a small packet of business cards from his wallet.

“Supper will be ready in 30 minutes. Samuel, are you coming up for supper? We can talk about the details over supper.” Dez just assumed that Samuel would come for supper, but didn't think much about it after she and Matt walked away.

“No. Tell Cook thank you anyway. And tell her if it’s roast, I’d like a thick sandwich for tomorrow. Gettin' back to my tools now. Nice t'meet you Matt. You’ll be out here again?”

“Good to meet you as well, Samuel. Yes, I’ll be out here from time to time when Miss Dez needs me. Right Dez?” Dez smiled and silently planned Matt’s next visit.

“If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.”
~ Rudyard Kipling,  The Collected Works

No comments: