Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Chapter One, Episode 57 - ReFreshed - Situationally Theirs

July 2, 2020
Review, Edit and Update
The changes I made for this post were word-crafting only. 

When I see that I have used any word more than two times in a sentence or paragraph, I change the last one to a different word. In the second last paragraph, last sentence I changed the word 'he' to the subjects name 'Matt' - replacing one too many he - he- he's!

The other change is actually an addition. When I write things in italics, it is my attempt to write the thoughts of a subject, but sometimes it is not clear to me on my review. In this case, in the last paragraph, I added the sentence 'Cook's thoughts turned to her own longings'. 


ReFreshed

“Martha, d’you know what those two women are up to now?….Martha? ….Martha?….Since you and James have been socializing - and I’m not sure about the distancing part - I can hardly talk with you anymore.” Cook shook her head. “Martha! Cook spoke more sharply this time. 

“What is it, Elizabeth?” Martha turned from her work at the table. “James and I are planning a walk down by that little stream at the back of the property. We’re taking a picnic lunch with us. What were you saying about ‘those two women’?”

Cook chuckled “Are you sure you can pay attention for more than five minutes. You and James both are acting like teenagers living on another planet. James isn’t quite as moony as your are, but he has his moments. The rest of us must be like annoying flies buzzing around in the midst of your bliss. I think that’s the word. Where is James anyway? If he’s already gone I hope he took my list with him.”

“James? He’s gone into the city on some estate business he’s tending to for Miss Emelina…….oh, there you are, James. You sweet man, you brought me flowers. I’m going to have to open a flower shop. …….Elizabeth was about to tell me something.. ..What was it about?”

“Hello James….It’s about Miss Dez and Miss Emelina.…James, did you get my groceries? Here, I’ll just put them away…Anyway, that pair are turning into farmers….what’s the fancy name for it ‘orchardists or something’… They were in here one day last week asking about the apples. What did I think about them. Are they good baking apples? Well, I told them that they were not always that good. Some years better than others, but since Mr. Michael passed on they weren’t getting tended to, no matter how many times Samuel said something. Why, he finally gave up. Went out grumbling that he’d just let them all go. And I guess he did, because the apples haven’t been the same since. …… 

Cook just kept talking as she went back and forth from the table to the refrigerator or pantry putting her groceries away. After putting the last cans of tomatoes in the pantry, she came out dusting her hands on her apron. Martha and James, who hadn’t really been listening, had teacups and cookies out. The kettle was just starting to sing.

“Can I join this tea party or should I go home and leave you to lovebirds alone?” Cook was feeling a little left out. Her two oldest friends, not yet married, were now a couple. There seemed no room for Cook anymore. She had to find a new place for herself, without just getting mad and behaving like another kind of teenager. The kind with an attitude and a smart mouth to go with it. 

“I’m sorry, Elizabeth. Of course you can join us. Here, give me your mug or would you prefer a teacup.” James felt badly. He knew how close Martha and Elizabeth had been. 

“No James, I like my tea in this mug for now. You know that I miss you two. Feeling like an extra left shoe these days.” Cook sat down with her friends at the table. She wanted to push the flowers away, but didn’t want to push her friends away by doing that. 

“Now what’s all this about Miss Dez and Miss Emelina. They’ve taken an interest in the orchard. Is that what you’ve been trying to tell us?”

“Yes. First it was just bees. I thought that when they found out all the trouble they were getting themselves into, that would just die out. But no. Miss Dez talked to Samuel. He told her that story about his grandpappy that none of even know is true or not. Miss Dez did some study on the Internet and found out about what the bees need to be healthy. That’s when the questions about apples started. They’ve been tromping through that orchard ever since. Why, they even had another orchard man out here to tell them what to do.”

James and Martha had been listening intently. James spoke up. “Elizabeth, from what my dad told me, that story that Samuel tells about his grandpappy is true. There’s even an old piece of wood in the toolshed with initials carved on it. His grandpappy’s and the first Mr. Beaufort’s.”

“I think it’s wonderful to think that old orchard could be revived. James, when we go for that walk and picnic, we could walk through the orchard and maybe see if they’ve started work of some kind. Elizabeth, if they were to get the trees producing good fruit again, you could make those wonderful apples pies you used to make from them. The store bought, or even some from the trees we have, just don’t make a good pie. At least not as good as the original Beaufort apples made.”

Cook drained the last drop of tea from her china mug. Martha, breaking the last sugar cookie in half, gave half to James, kept half for herself. “Thank you, Martha. I have some paperwork to attend to in the office. I’ll see you later this afternoon.” 

The back door opened bringing laughter with it. A motor gunned, the crunch of gravel sounded as a vehicle left the backyard. “Welcome, ladies. Where have you been? You look like you’ve had a busy afternoon. You’ll have to tell Cook and Martha all about it. I have work to do. It’s good to see you both looking so well and happy.” James was especially glad to see his employer happy and laughing. Her many years of grieving alone, despite all the functions she attended, were in the past. She wouldn’t be alone anymore. 

After James had gone, Dez started talking. “We were out in the orchard with Matt Hamilton. Matt of the curly brown hair and deep brown eyes. But seriously, he’s an orchardist and an apiarist - that’s a fancy name for a beekeeper. He’ll be helping us - I mean me - revive the orchard and getting our beehives set up. It will take the rest of the summer for most of it. It’s a big job. Matt’s got his own place to take care of, so he’ll only be over here about once a week or maybe ten days.”

“More teenagers! Sounds like you’ve been revived already, Miss Dez.” Cook laughed out loud. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying a second childhood these days. Cook's thoughts turned to her own longings. Maybe I should go out to that apple orchard or sit under the old redwood to see if I can get some of the magic! I think I’ll just settle for good apples and a dollop of honey. The old house, so empty and sad before this pandemic, was full of life and laughter.

“Every heart sings a song, incomplete, 
until another heart whispers back. 
Those who wish to sing always find a song."
~ Plato

No comments: