Pages

Monday, November 8, 2021

The Order of Things

Serving a new purpose…..that’s what retirement is all about. I was gifted a beautiful rocking chair from my colleagues, but I have an apology for them all. It just hasn’t been getting much action. My two other rocking chairs are quite left out as well! 


So much seems taken from us in this last couple of years. Believe me, I’ve felt it. Emptied out and yet, filled up. Filled up with being with family, with old and with new friends, with long walks, with time. Oh, and did I mention my Companion Cat Jet?


Permission to live, without a policy and procedure manual to guide me, has often left me breathless, fearful. Not knowing the correct order for things. Feeling and finding a life order has been easier than expected. The missing manual has not mattered. To look around me is to find the order for each moment. To look inside me is to find the order that matters. Family stories of how things work, learning from teachers and mentors. The back and forth chatter between friends then and now. Watching trees greening in spring, filling their branches in summer, becoming golden in the fall and letting go in winter. So I breathe deeply and relax into this new purpose.


“Cat: Where are you going?

Alice: Which way should I go?

Cat: That depends on where you are going.

Alice: I don’t know.

Cat: Then it doesn’t matter which way you go.”

~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland


 

No comments: