Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Chapter Two, Episode Ninety- five - Opening - Situationally Theirs

 Opening


Art and the world of artists seemed so foreign to Dez. But, she was learning. Slowly. The beautiful artificial nails annoyed her, though. She wanted to pull them off like she pulled off her bra when she got home from work. 


Over the weeks she had been working at the spa she had developed an appreciation for the art works that were hung in the reception area. Her sister had often tried to get her to go along with her to art galleries. “They all just leave me cold, Em. I paint, but nothing like that, and I can’t call it art.” Em would just shake her head at her sister, but she still always invited her to the next gallery showing. When Dez was alone in the reception area, clients all tucked away for their treatments, Dez would look closely at the paintings. There were only three, but she had finally gotten curious. She already had an answer if someone caught her…. ‘I just wanted to see if I know the artist.’ 


She was caught between the proverbial rock and hard place though. She had decided to accept Em’s next invitation. If she did though, she’d have to be brave enough to be this person she didn’t recognize. Em may not even recognize her. She had scoffed so long about artists and the money they charged, would her new found interest in gallery tours be believed. Dez’ life had become so narrow, but this spa job had opened a door she didn’t even know she had closed. 


~~~~~


“I wonder….” Emelina didn’t even know anyone was listening. She had just come downstairs and was pouring herself a cup of coffee. Warming her hands on the mug, she absentmindedly sat down at the table. Setting the cup down, she leafed through the morning newspaper. “Gallery Opening with Showing of Local Art Works….August 23 at the Hartley Community Centre. Admission by donation.”


“What do you wonder Miss Em?” Cook had heard her employer musing to herself but let her be while she got her coffee and newspaper. “Oh, just about this Gallery Opening in the newspaper. You know that I always ask my sister along and she never wants to come with me. I’ve not seen her in a long time ~ at least I don’t think so. I may have seen her at the spa where I get my manicure, but I’m not certain. There’s a Gallery opening in a couple of weeks, I just wondered if I should bother to ask her, that’s if I can find her. Maybe not.”


“We haven’t seen your sister out here either. Thought it seemed odd. If you talk with her tell her she is missed. Samuel’s been asking for her. He’s wondering about something in the orchard.” Cook and Martha were actually concerned about her. When she had other jobs, she always found time to come to the Estate, even if it was to have a visit with her and Martha.


“I will, Cook. I will call her today. She’s never answered any of my texts, so I’ll call her and invite her along.” Emelina’s brow furrowed. “Hmm. If she doesn’t answer, I may just call her friend Matt and see if he knows where she is. I just don’t know if I should be worried or not.”


“Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last.”

~ Samuel Johnson, Works of Samuel Johnson


 

No comments: