Pages

Saturday, August 12, 2023

On the Edge ~ 2

It was just a tomato sandwich. After walking through the Farmer’s Market, smelling all the delicious cooking food aromas, seeing all the wares on display, and moving to the music from the Regina Folk Festival, I spotted a small food truck advertising Bread. Do I remember its name? No, but I do remember the little hand lettered menu that advertised sandwiches. The first on the list was a tomato sandwich on toasted sourdough bread - exactly what I had wanted. 


That sandwich took me to the edge to a table just steps away from the Farmer’s Market, on the edge of the Folk Festival in Victoria Park. From there, I was able to enjoy the atmosphere of both activities but at a distance. I’m not great in crowds, so sitting at the table I could enjoy the music, the kids playing and dancing, parents and families meandering from venue to venue or, blankets spread, sitting on the grass chatting and laughing. I did spot some hula hoops spinning around the hips of a younger crowd at one of the music venues! 



The Farmers Market had been moved from the Pat Fiasco Plaza to up and down the Scarth Street Mall, giving its usual location over to the Folk Festival. A last loop through the Market, there was really nothing I wanted to buy. Or maybe nothing I wanted to spend money on until I spotted the booth for meat from J & J White Farms in Lumsden. Lamb chops! I love lamb chops and these were local. A few booths down, I just about bought some local Feta cheese, but they were sold out of small quantities. 



I did my own meandering then. Past a children’s venue to the bus stop and home with my memories and my package of frozen lamb chops! It was a special treat to be in the midst of all that energy, music and fun, but stay on the edge of it all. 









“When it’s a folk festival, there’s more of an intention on the song and connecting with people,”

~ Jenny O.






No comments: