Pages

Friday, August 11, 2023

An Artful Afternoon

 

It was August 05th - just last Saturday - that my sister, Betty and I took a wander to the Fort Qu’Appelle Midsummer Art Festival. I had never been there before so had no idea of its largesse! I did recognize the entrance to the Fort with its banners, sunflowers and signs, but the cars, pickups, camper trailers and people wowed me. Outside the Fort, a Poutine food cart, and several other food tents, tables and chairs for the hungry were busy with business. The Festival had opened in the morning, so there had already been streams of people in the gates. A modest entry fee of $5.00 let us unto a sea of crafters and artisans displaying and selling their wares. A biergarten and music was busy in one corner. We made a beeline to a building towards the back of the large area to find our sister Kate. Perfectly positioned in a far corner, she could see and welcome any and all customers, saying the morning had been particularly busy. It was almost like walking through a fair ground it was so full of life and activity.


Hungry, and after a short visit, we headed back to the food court area for hamburgers, pie and ice cream. On our way, we spotted pottery artisans. I was so tempted but restrained myself, convinced that I could return after lunch. And so we did, but made a big circuit around all the tents, studiously avoiding anything resembling pottery. I did make one small purchase of a cork bracelet. Returning to Kate’s table, I restocked my card box at home with the purchase of several of her watercolour cards, and chose a photograph of thistles in bloom for my home.


Another surprise ~ My sisters talked with a high school friend and I met some friends of mine from Regina. It was a lovely afternoon. The weather perfect and the wonderful atmosphere of the busy Midsummer Art Festival could not have been any better (unless I had purchased some pottery)!



"I love the outdoor festival feeling."

~ Joshua Bell








No comments: