Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

What's on the Menu?

I started down the alphabet
To find some veggies there.
I’d gather each and everyone and make a soup so fair.
I’ve only known the plain ones
Carrots, Corn and peas
Potatoes and tomatoes, radishes and beets.
Thank heavens for the internet
There’s such a salad there.
I found exotic veggies there,
China gave us bok choy that can be eaten raw or cooked
Collard greens come from Tennesee and all the southern states
South America’s jalapenos or habaneros heat up my plate
New Zealand has some spinach - with vines and yellow flowers,
Ximenia fruit and xylocarp might be a side for steak. 
Africa contributes bread fruit we can boil, fry or bake
Yarrow, yams and ugni 
A list long and many missed
It’s soup and salad day, we really are quite blessed
We flavour all the dishes with herbs and roots of great array.
Garlic and ginger, they are my favourites, but I also love some thyme.
Oregano and parsley most definitely are sublime.
My kitchen and my pantry fill with gifts the earth provides.
So now that I am hungry, I’ll see what I can plant
To grow these tasty morsels and keep them close at hand.
I’ll plant the plain sweet carrots, red tomatoes, peas and corn
Potatoes, beets, and radish rows are also just the best
And around them yellow golden marigolds to ward off any pests.

Nasturtiums and purple pansies for colour and for taste,
only two of many flowers that can grace a salad plate.
Another poem could writ, but it really is too late.




Laughter is brightest where food is best.
- Irish Proverb

1 comment:

Kate Hersberger Moving forward Looking for the Joy! said...

Love this Sue. And knowing what a good cook you are makes it all the better. xo