Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Suicide Prevention


Thinking about suicide prevention today, I am pretty sure I could not have prevented my mother’s suicide -
nor the suicide of two other relations,
nor the suicide of friends.

All three occurred several decades ago now, each far apart from the other.
Much younger then, in my twenties and then in my thirties,
I had been active in my nursing career for several years.
Clinically I had heard the word 'suicide'.
In those years there were few assessment tools 
for those of us in the health care professions.

As a nurse, I have only cared for those with
suicidal ideation
suicidal gestures
suicide plans

As a daughter and family member
the only tools I had as a young mom were in
my sewing kit
the kitchen drawer
the closet with the mops and vacuum cleaner:
not real effective suicide prevention tools.

I hear talk about
emotional pain
distorted thinking
(those are the polite ways of talking about ‘it’)

But does anyone really, really
understand what
emotional pain or
distorted thinking
is or feels like for someone that is suicidal?
What it’s like inside of those feelings?
Can anyone really, really know from the outside?

So my suicide prevention strategy is this - 
to start with myself.
To honour those who have gone before
not for their deaths or the manner of their deaths
but for the good and decent thoughts, deeds and lessons of their lives.
Whether it be one small thing - or a myriad of things-
character and colour
humor and kindness
smiles and laughter
and best of all the hugs.

I have also committed to live my own life in 
safety and health 
to those that are here and now - 
my families, friends and colleagues.

I share my story with those on the edge between life and death.
Not the details of the deaths 
but the rippled and rippling effects
of the suicide:
Each loved one will be forever missed.

Because you are 
child, mother, father, brother, 
sister, aunt, uncle, friend - 
that loved one - 
oh, I know that you don’t believe me, but your light will be missed.
I also know that your energy for living is all but gone,
but it can be rebuilt - 
extend your hand, 
accept a hand, 
stay with us please.

“Suicide is not a blot on anyone’s name; it is a tragedy.”
~ Kay Redfield Jamison, 
Night Falls Fast:  Understanding Suicide

No comments: