Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Summer's Ending is Sweet

Summer is fading away quietly.

Brilliant sun graced blue, blue sky today
Mere glimpses of the clear sky scattered through the beautiful windows at work.

Afternoon air, an interesting mix of
warm sunshine and almost crispy cold,
whispered in my ear to remind me that there are, at home, 
green gold pears fallen on cushioning soft earth
broad leafed squash plants hiding golden flowers and softball sized squash
tender young scarlett runner beans climbing, sharing deep orange flower buds 
a few struggling young green peas hesitantly reaching their green tendrils

You might wonder about my young plants and new scarlet runners - 
I only planted in mid July - the earliest I had the ground ready - 
just because I wanted to have my own garden fresh
tomatoes
beans
peas (don’t think I’ll get any)
squash
potatoes (I’m eating one as I write this)

Will the crisp-cold fall season enter quietly one night and freeze my ill timed plantings?
No matter - I only wanted the joy of my own food garden.
A fresh sweet pear with breakfast.
Tentative promise of fresh and home-canned tomatoes (my single plant is four feet high and loaded with flowers!)
A chance to eat beans - and peas - right off of the vine?
I really don’t need much in this world and much of it is right here in my own backyard.

“There shall always be summer in the grateful heart.”
~ Celia Thaxter

No comments: