Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Conundrum - Seminar Day Two

I felt rather tiny in the midst of all the non-nursing discussion about biopsychosocial issues.

There are two branches of this sort of health care with a third tiny sprout in the middle.

The main trunk is the first branch
medicine - I think.

To the left is the next branch
psychiatry - I think.

Sheltered and tucked away is addictions medicine, 
more specifically medical detox - of that I’m sure.

Some health care providers, nurses specifically, work in Medical Detox.
What does treatment of psychiatric conditions 
have to do with them?

Well, I think that is the wrong question.
The question should be:  
What should medically trained nurses working in Medical Detox know 
about psychiatric conditions?

Seminar attendees learned about only two of these conditions:
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Borderline Personality Disorder
there are so very many more......

Have I mentioned the people that carry these conditions?
In medical detox, we care for those people who carry, not of their choosing, a dual diagnosis - Addiction and a Psychiatric Disorder.

How do I assimilate the information learned today 
so that it will inform my nursing practice?
A conundrum for sure.

“There are no extra pieces in the universe.  
Everyone is here because he or she has a place to fill, 
and every piece must fit into the big jigsaw puzzle.”
~ Deepak Chopra

No comments: