Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

A Commitment to Post

Three hundred and fourteen posts since Dec. 28, 2011.
Most of my writing this past many years has been in isolation.
I needed something more, so
setting myself a task in creativity,
with no clear vision or knowledge of my abilities, I just began to write this daily blog post.
My inspiration?  
My sister Kate and her blog ~ Moving Forward-Looking for the Joy

With no real rhyme or reason, my posts have varied from 
silly to serious,
sadness and joy with
a month devoted to my travels with epilepsy, then 
family issues,
my nursing career,
even a hint of politics.
a children’s story or two
cooking successes
vacation fun
and many more.

Challenges have been in ready supply with
numerous work schedule changes
computer glitches
travel
guests
flat, disinterested moods
birthday parties,
writing exercises and assignments from Writer’s Ink
just plain tired ~ until I begin to write then
the time falls away and words begin to flow.

This venture has been part of 
a journey into my personal life outside of 
extracurricular activities
nursing career.
Beginning slowly and uncertainly,
digging back in slush piles and archives,
I resurrected gems that had been unrecognized and forgotten,
finding my muse and letting it play.

At the beginning, posts consisted of only a few lines.
Pictures and quotations came later.
Designing as I went, 
I picked through photos, both digital and glossy paper,
many times running outside to get another,
rearranging something in the house to fit the poem or story.

My search for quotations has proved fascinating,
rereading many times what I have written to see just what it was I was saying before selecting just the right quotation.

I have had great fun, going back to the beginning
learning the art of revision on my previous posts,
learning that my attachment to words is not as important
as my attachment to an idea, story or question.

I have learned much over this past ten months with
wonderful feedback from many family and friends
and am looking forward to this next fifty days.

My next year’s blog?
I haven’t decided what changes there will be..

"It was character that got us out of bed,
commitment that moved us into action, and
discipline that enabled us to follow through."
~ Zig Ziglar

No comments: