Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

"I was so excited to be going to chicken poop bingo!"

"I was so excited to be going to chicken poop bingo!"

All of my chickens are always brushed and fluffed so they will present themselves proudly, whether running about the farmyard or in their wood framed cages. I’ve raised them all since they were fluffy yellow chicks!  

When I was a youngster in blue jeans, t-shirts and braids to my waist, I watched my mom playing chicken poop bingo. All I ever wanted was to be the owner of a chicken that was a bingo pooping champ.  

But I grew up, graduated high school and became a bank teller. My childhood dream of owning rusty brown chickens that would poop on winning numbers, faded away with all the other childhood memories, but never really went away. 

When I heard there was a chicken poop bingo game coming to town, I knew what I would do. My husband and I already had all those chickens on our hobby farm, so I first went to my husband and told him my plan. He thought I was crazy, but when I told him how much the chicken poop bingo company paid to hire chickens, he thought I should try with at least one of them.

I chose Rusty, one of my brightest and best poopers, to take to the chicken pooping auditions. There were hundreds of people lined up for that cattle - I’m mean chicken - call. Rusty and I were on the short list of only twenty to be auditioned.  Being the fifteenth person to have her chicken poop in front of the judges on a giant bingo card made me a nervous wreck. I was just about in tears. I was so sure that they wouldn’t pick my Rusty. She was amazing - pooping with such regularity and seeming to aim while she squawked!  

My Rusty won!

“To have your childhood dream realized is a really big deal.”
~ Maya Rudolph

No comments: