Pages

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Run and Ride

On my morning walk, as I prepare for the day ahead of me, it is not unusual to see joggers, walkers and cyclists on streets, sidewalks and cedarlined paths. A quickly passing, and sometimes breathless ‘Good morning’ or nod is a lovely beginning to any day adding to greening trees, blossoming flowers and birdsong.

The jogger crossing the street just ahead of me called one word over his shoulder, unclear to me at the time as I could see no one behind him. Then his partner pedalled earnestly up, his helmet on and dressed warmly. If you look way down the cedar path into the park you’ll see an orange spot at the end ~ this dad and his young son. The word I heard was “clear”.  Out for their morning run and ride, this dad and son had their own plan for their time together and their exercise.  Walking the same direction, I followed them for a bit, and heard ‘clear’ again. Then ‘stop’ when a car came down the street. The young son listened wisely to instruction, stopped and waited for his dad to say ‘clear’.  Dad and son got on the cedar path and continued their morning run and ride.

Preparation for health, fun and family ~ it brought a smile to my face and warmed my heart.

“Raising children is a creative endeavor,
an art rather than a science.”
~ Bruno Bettelheim

No comments: