Pages

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Stumbling Blocks and Stepping Stones

For too long I have been angry ~ maybe only resentful ~ at health care systems in general. And then fearful ~ fearful of their size, their power and their steady movement over us all.

In the last two weeks, letting go of all of that, my shoulders feel wider, my feet feel more firmly planted and I can see and hear and appreciate all of the people that work beside me in health care.

April’s theme of purpose, has been twisted, wrung out and to-night is folded and to be put away. My purpose ~ my personal belief about a life's purpose of mine ~ was to create something on a grand scale that would foster great change within the health care systems that have been around much longer than myself.

I also truly believed that I was writing with humility!

Yet, after all has been said and done, my greatest stumbling block in my ‘writing project’ was a great lack of humility. But, as a good, good friend told me years ago, each stumbling block can be a stepping stone. Without knowing that I would find personal humility, I took up my pen, wrote for hours and pages and sentences and paragraphs, slowly chipping away at the stumbling block on which I stood. This stumbling block has become a stepping stone into new challenges. Finding new ways of expressing my very real concerns in this world of addictions care is an exciting challenge for me, while opening myself to the world around me ~ family, colleagues, and friends.

“The disillusionment with our own abilities is, perhaps, 
one of the most important things that can ever happen to us.”
~ Tim Hansel


No comments: