Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

Saturday Afternoon at the Symphony with Elvis

It was an amazing tribute. A Tribute to the King. Once more this gang of rather mature teenagers took our seats for an afternoon at the symphony. Elvis and Symphony!? Scott Coulter, Graham Bailey, Justin Talkington and Michael Holland with Danny Mallon on drums took us from the 1950’s through the Las Vegas years. They clearly told us they weren’t Elvis impersonators. Their show was their tribute to Elvis Presley, with bits of history added between songs. They included the Jordanaires, who sang backup vocals for Elvis from 1956 to 1972, in this musical tribute. I did not sit still throughout, except during the ‘slow’ songs (Are You Lonesome Tonight). Backed up by the Victoria Symphony, the music rocked with depth and power that I’m confident would have made Elvis proud. I mean really, kettle drums, cellos, brass and violins! It was just plain fun. (The early years were my favourite - Heartbreak Hotel, Blue Suede Shoes…….)

“Rock and roll music, if you like it, if you feel it, you can’t help 
but move to it. That’s what happens to me. I can’t help it.”
~ Elvis Presley

No comments: