Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Desperation in Ten Minutes


This bit of writing is from a 10 minute writing exercise at Writer's group on Friday. Each of us chose a folded paper with a household object written on it. The challenge was to write from the objects perspective. I did minimal editing - fixing typo's, misspellings. And of course added the quotation and image this evening. 

Can you guess what household object I chose?

Desperation in Ten Minutes
"Oh my heavens! I am so tired of feeling walked on by everyone.  I had great plans when I was readied for sale. All the fabric and yarn that went into my beautiful visage. I was confident that someone with taste would purchase me as a wall hanging. That was not what happened. What happened was a young couple with children. Not children who ran outside to play but toddlers and babies. I know I heard the young moms cooing over their little rugrats. But I wasn’t impressed. Peanut butter, jam, muddy feet, baby drool. And never getting washed, vacuumed and returned to my original beauty. And milk spills! Orange juice! The milk is the worst. Getting sour and turning the whole room nasty and smelly. Did I mention wine? Red wine? And that’s not the children. That’s the parents. After their little darlings were sleeping out comes the wine glasses, or if the church lady is visiting, purple grape juice. Once upon a time I was leafy and green on a lovely white background. Once upon a time I was soft and  plush. Just when I thought I was safe….a new puppy and kitten were let loose. Clawing and scratching, chewing and the worst of all - peeing in the soured milk. How ever can I get my owners to see what they have done to me? I’d cry but I don’t know how. And now this great heavy footed man with a gigantic machine thing that’s not a vacuum has stomped in….Oh no, he’s plugging in a machine….Phew! Finally a steam cleaner!"

“Desperation does not breed empathy or clear thinking.”
~ Joseph Fink, Welcome to Night Vale

No comments: