Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

Honouring International Women's Day

Tomorrow, March 08, is International Women’s Day. I have never taken the opportunity to celebrate this anniversary initiated in 1908. I really have never paid much attention to it until, actually, last year. Don’t know why it has taken so long to draw my attention. I suppose like so many other things, I have taken my rights as a woman as normal and natural forgetting that at one time women had none of the rights that I enjoy today: personal independence, a voice, the ability to vote as I choose and to do whatever I choose given the means to do so. Today I enjoy a feeling of confidence that may have been a stranger to that woman in times gone past. I am not so naive to think that women often still have to work towards parity in many areas of life. There are many that wish to hang on to the ‘man’s world’, and this includes both men and women. There are many of us that are comfortable in our independence from that structured world and at the same time, comfortable in reciprocal relationships with partners and colleagues.

International Women's Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.” 

“The history of all times, and of today especially, teaches that 
women will be forgotten if they forget to think about themselves.”
~ Louise Otto

Quotation from:    www.internationalwomensday.com

No comments: