Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Soul Food

While reading Ruth Reichl’s book My Kitchen Year, she showed me word pictures of how food feeds not just the body, but the soul. I have often gone to the kitchen with the pretext of wanting some specific thing to eat but found myself more entranced with the creation of a dish - usually from left overs or just whatever is in the cupboard or fridge. The follow up eating of the food is merely a tasty completion of this process. Did the taste match the imagining in my head? Was the texture right, was it too soft or not soft enough? Of course, someone has to do the dishes and even that, sometimes, is satisfying to me. This writing exercise should prove interesting over the next eleven days as I have no clue what I may ‘cook up’ in the way of word crafting! 

Normally
Ounces
Unique
Rations
Ice Cream
Scrambled eggs
Hash brown potatoes
Morsels
Exquisite
Necessary
Temptation

“We must never stop dreaming. Dreams provide nourishment
 for the soul, just as a meal does for the body.”
~ Paulo Coelho, The Pilgrimage


No comments: