Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Second Loaf

A couple of weeks ago, I made my first loaf of No-Knead Bread. Successful and quite delicious. As it was disappearing at an alarming rate - still haven’t found the culprit - I made a second loaf.  I made some changes that I really didn’t think would make much different. But the texture and the taste of the bread were off. (By the way, this loaf also has disappeared. I did make a back up loaf - and again this loaf has disappeared right out of my kitchen. Whoever has disappeared them also used up my butter and my honey!) 

The changes were:
The yeast - I didn’t bring the yeast to room temperature before mixing with the flour.
The bowl - I used a much larger bowl
Rising - I had the second rise go on much longer and had it in the refrigerator for most of the second rise.

Ultimately, the second loaf was good bread, but just okay. So I made a third improved loaf  - I ate the last bit today and won’t make anymore until next week. Just have to try again!

“All sorrows are less with bread.”
~ Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

No comments: