Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Waltzing the Weather

While all the growing things ~ plants, animals and humans ~ in our land welcome the mist, the rain and the coolness, there creeps a sluggishness behind my eyes, my blood grows thick as molasses in my veins, my feet set themselves stubbornly on the floor unhappy that they’re not allowed to get up on the sofa.

While I am grateful to have the trees, flowers and gardens watered with this soft wetness from above, I struggle to be grateful with this slow waltz into late summer, and yet know that Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers portrayed the beauty of the slow waltz only picking up the tempo when the music changed.

While that long ago child who has grown up would love to pout and sulk, this ~ kind of ~ mature woman has found a forgotten energy held in reserve ~ reminders that as this warm summer sort of weather changes it ultimately brings opportunity for roast chicken and homemade soup, scalloped potatoes and home canned apple sauce.

So, just for today, I’m willing to settle into a slow waltz so that I can see possibilities for growth in this quietness, the possibility of refreshing my container gardens, and the possibility of a lovely slow waltz ~ minus a beautiful gown - when the barometer changes.

“God, I love the waltz, the way the elegance of the one-count 
draws your attention away from the restlessness of the two-three.”
~ Elizabeth Little

No comments: