Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Nothing in Particular

When I travel, in my short jaunts, I see so many things. Hear so many voices chatting about so many life events and plans, large or small. Participate in so many conversations. Family yes. Sometimes friends. But the most interesting, because of it’s newness, is my seat mate on the bus or a child on the ferry. Conversations that would never occur until that bus ride, or ferry crossing, we may never have met and may never again. On the bus, passengers are all in orderly rows. Always a book or my iPad with me to keep me entertained until I feel a nap coming on, I keep myself occupied until, and if, there is a moment of connection. On a bus ride, it begins with some experience that all the passengers share. Like a sudden slowing in traffic, or a traffic jam. A shared moment in time that can be just seconds, or can evolve into polite chatting. Delving into whether our destination is the same. An off hand comment about what ‘vintage’ we share. This last trip, the topic of retirement came up. She retired several years ago while I’m still trying to figure it out.  

On the ferry, all the bus, car and truck passengers become one large milling throng headed to the upper decks for fast food or a sit down meal with the wake of the ferry trailing along behind. As the line ups shrink, we each find our place. Families at tables for four, couples and singles at smaller tables. In the fast food cafeteria, I think it is first come first served and grab the nearest available table. After all are sated, some of us meander to the gift shop. Others sit in the rows of chairs along the sides and in a large waiting room. Books are read, naps are taken, children - as children are - busy finding hallways to run in, games to play and windows to watch out of. Parents needing a sharp eye to keep sight of some of them. This last ferry ride, I was playing one of many games on my iPad. I had found a seat at the side of the ferry. Then I hear a little voice: ‘That looks like my favourite game.’ About 7 years old, skinny with a shock of blond hair, he remained by my side for the next ten minutes giving me tips and pointing out where the next move should be. I shared my own thoughts about the logistics. He replied in an offhand manner “You say things nicely” and then the purser announced it was time to ‘Return to your vehicles’. 

Two memorable conversations about nothing in particular. Just sharing space and time for the moment when our paths crossed.

“It is good to have an end to journey towards; 
but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”
~ Ursula K.Le Guin, 
The Left Hand of Darkness

No comments: