Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2019

Anthropomorphizing

Anthropomorphizing

I went over every square inch of the lawn. Every blade of grass that had even an interesting sniff of something or someone. Traffic was non-existent on this street so busy during the day, so I had no distractions. The wind had gone to sleep. Scattered stars shone, only the most distant ones dimmed by the street lights. Unnecessary, but acceptable, I was not disturbed by them. I did try to keep into shadow. I lifted my head. A sound not unlike one of my neighbours when it clears its throat, but much softer. I resumed my search for the secret prize only I know as soon as I find it. Moving from grass to the tiny ditch separating the grass from a flower bed, I continued my search slowly and carefully, but only for a few feet. Back on the grass, much softer on the pads of my feet, the dew cold and wet, I stopped. Lifted my head higher this time. There was someone there! It seemed a ghost. A very large ghost. White against the blackened window. What voyeur dares to come even close to my yard? It has been standing there for quite awhile, sure that I haven’t seen it. But I’m paying attention. I’ll stare at it until it moves again. Phew! It’s backing off. I can hear the scraping of a door sliding open. It’s gone through the black window but I’ll keep watching until I’m certain that the ghost has vanished back to where it came from.

“Sometimes, staying alive solely depends on 
keeping your head in place and your senses alert.”
~ Susana Fortes

No comments: