Pages

Friday, May 10, 2019

Quality Work

Difficult to get a good picture of the webs!
Yesterday began as usual for late spring in Victoria. Warm, sunny with morning traffic sliding past my home. A squirrel chasing through my patio to check my container pots for any stray delicious something. No deer have been by for a couple of days. Have they found a tastier garden? In the afternoon, everything slowed down because of the temperature climbing steadily. For me, it felt welcome and good. Not everyone, especially native born Victorians, enjoys or revels in such temperature increases.

Today began as usual as well. Memories of yesterday’s shirt sleeve and sandals weather, moved me out on the patio for breakfast. I was vigilant about any bit of wild life that may spy my breakfast while my back was turned. Now that breakfast has been eaten, with no threats even from bees or wasps, I am tap-tapping away on my laptop. As I write this bit of trivia, ‘my’ squirrel has tiptoed via the ‘long route’ past my patio and slipped quietly through the trimmed hedge in front of my patio. I barely caught a glimpse of him as he ~ or she ~ exited away from my bold fearsomeness. Spiders have been busy out here and have strung their beautiful webbing around and through my garden trellis. Sunlight dances from their delicate work when any slight breeze is set adrift through my little corner of the world. Spider webs are not as protective of my young plants as the plastic netting at the bottom of the trellis, but much more beautiful. Maybe deer don’t like getting their noses caught on spider webs? One can always hope.

“The difference between utility and utility plus beauty is 
the difference between telephone wires and the spider web.”
~ Edwin Way Teale

No comments: