Pages

Monday, May 6, 2019

Walking Inspiration

What a lovely day for Fairfield Artist Studio Tour! I set out with a light jacket on, hoping I wouldn’t be too cool as I went. Along the way there were beautiful gardens and many friendly hello’s. Ushered into homes and cosy backyard studios to view the many forms of art, I was welcomed smiles and information about each artist’s work. There were places where there were too many for the one artist to say much more than ‘Welcome’ so I listened to the question that was being answered. Beautiful and quirky paintings, delicate hand work in cotton fabric and fine string, fine sculptures, gift cards, puzzles and jewelry from up-cycled items. Then, there was a clean and shiny work shop full of fun. Other worldly ‘sculptures’ from old kitchen equipment and tools to the nuts and bolts holding them all together in imaginative cars and robots. I must admit my ‘Inner Critic’ was
having a field day telling me that I just might as well give up on any creativity of my own. But I just dismissed this as completely irrelevant and took in the ideas that came to me as I went. Having only gone out in the afternoon of the second day, I was only able to view about eight of the Artist’s Studios. I took my light jacket off when I realized I was really uncomfortable warm! Tired, hot and thirsty, I took a bus for the last 10 blocks home. It was a very inspiring afternoon. 

“Through the years, I have learned there is no harm in charging 
oneself up with delusions between moments of valid inspiration.”
~ Steve Martin, Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life

No comments: