Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Book Review: The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George

The Little Paris Bookshop will remain on my bookshelf to be reread and reread. Unfortunately for me and for this post, I was unable to attend our book group yesterday. A suspected cold (or was it allergies) had exhausted me, so erring on the side of caution I sadly missed the discussion. Nina George has penned a beautiful love story. From a man’s perspective. Monsieur Jean Perdu, his only love having left him twenty-one years past, has sealed off that part of his life. He does not speak her name, even to himself. He lives in an apartment in Paris surrounded my other long term residents. Most of them chatty, and a bit nosy, women who quite like him. One woman who has recently moved in, divorced and heartbroken, has nothing in the way of furniture. A brief encounter with her cracks open the seal he has so carefully guarded. His work is on a barge named the Literary Apothecary, where he provides books as a physician would write a prescription. Moored on the Seine, he shares this floating library with two cats, named Kafka and Lindgren. A young author, Max Jordan, has moved into the same apartment building and as the story progresses, joins Jean Perdu on his quest to find his long lost love and to resolve his great sadness. He has a problem with that scenario: he has learned that she has probably died. My only concern with this novel is that, for me, the ending is rather weak. Of course, I had decided on certain editorial changes that could have been done to make it more satisfying for me. Regardless, I loved this novel of Jean Perdu and his passengers as they travel down the Seine in fair and foul weather, stopping in ports along the way. Books, food, romance and France set the scene.

“And yes, being lovesick is like being in mourning. Because 
you die, because your future dies and you with it…
There is a hurting time. It lasts for so long. 
But it gets better. I know that now.”
~ Nina George, The Little Paris Bookshop

Title: The Little Paris Bookshop 
Author: Nina George
Copyright: 2013 
Translation Copyright: 2015 (Simon Pare)
Published in the United States by Penguin Books
Format: Novel
Type: Hardcover and paperback
ISBN: 978-o-553-41879-8
ebook ISBN: 978-o-553-41878-1

No comments: