Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2019

Enough?

Anniversary day ~ kind of because it's three months since my last nursing shift.

Not a global anniversary day
A ‘just me’ anniversary day
Beautiful gifts and heartfelt congratulations poured from many and every single one appreciated, yet followed up with a wondering ~
What are the congratulations about? That I don't have to work anymore to earn my keep?
But this morning, and maybe for a few mornings before that 
my ‘just me’ question is:
Have I done enough in this life?
Is 'enough' proscribed by employment?
How do I, or anyone else, know about the enough of participating in life?
No Rule Book
No Standards of Care
No Best Practices for Retirement
despite authors that have written about ~
What to look for
How to respond 
despite encouragement to ~
Slow down
Have fun
Do what you want 
when you want to do it
Travel
Somehow there’s a mismatch in all of that.
Earning my keep being greater than a paycheque,
I’ve come up with ~ and borrowed ~ a couple of my own
   Every day is Saturday (unless I have to match someone else's schedule)
   Do the next right thing (could be making soup or serving soup to others).

“The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think, 
and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know….
Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough.
~ John Adams, The Letters of John and Abigail Adams

No comments: