Pages

Monday, August 12, 2019

Skill Check

Streaming my consciousness 
on the page ~ squiggles and curlicues try to make sense of thoughts and ideas swirling through my mind.

The tip of the pen, a focal point
on the shape and meaning of 
just the right word.

Spellcheck is my own knowledge - no little red caterpillars in sight.
Grammar does not come underlined with green caterpillars 
No alerts when I might create a line of gobbledy-gook.

Random people in coffee shops and libraries notice my hand moving back and forth 
drawing my thoughts out, 
surprised and pleased to see that ‘someone still writes!

My pen points the way across the page so that
~ right to left ~
I fill each line dutifully until 
I reach the end of the line and then 
like a silent typewriter
my arm moves gently back 
to the beginning of the next line to continue my thought.

Hand writing requires attention 
away from alerts and notifications
so that only my thoughts enter the world 
via a trail of ink or graphite. 

Printing learned in Grade One 
in exercise books with open spaced lines 
shape each A B C until printing gave way to:
Cursive shapes of words.
Spelling and grammar next so 
our primary skill of talking 
could be sketched in the words we spoke ~ 
our learning of language
took a step forward to 
wield our pens like flashing swords.

Too many swords are rusty, 
put down in favour of 
modern hieroglyphics in emoticons and cartoon figures
until we don’t know our words are a part of us. 
Our ideas can be shaped rather that tapped
Tapping is more expedient and efficient 
but do we need to be in a world only expedient and efficient 
or 
do we need the beauty of handwriting 
taking the time to talk on the page.
Maybe both.......

“My spelling is Wobbly. It’s good spelling but it Wobbles, 
and the letters get in the wrong places
~ A.A.Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

No comments: