Pages

Friday, August 16, 2019

Six Months Already!!

In the past couple of weeks, each day my writing has involved some form of privilege. I have avoided using the word in an attempt to describe some of the many privileges of life. Not always as successfully as I’d like them, however that in itself is a privilege. To be able to write what I want and when I want. Writing badly, or maybe even with some skill from time to time. 

In the past six months, as of 1900 hours this evening, I have been privileged to enjoy the beginnings of a comfortable retirement. Purposely, I have stayed away from my previous worksite to give me distance from my ‘home’ for the last many years here in Victoria. Also on purpose, I haven't approached volunteering, until I my feet are really and truly on the ground. I've enjoyed this vacation city in my daily afternoon walks outside. In the first couple of months, there was some discomfort. It was great to have no early mornings unless I chose them. At the same time, the lack of those scheduled early mornings also left a void in my life. Different employers and different schedules had been a part of my life since 1968 when I graduated from nursing school, so it was not unexpected that this would occur. What I hadn’t expected was figuring out when to do laundry, how different my purchase of groceries would be, and all the things bookending a work life. I learned: Do the laundry when the hamper is full and buy the groceries you want because you’re not making lunches any more. As I write this, each of those gaps and difficulties are privileges. Privileges for which I am truly grateful.

Many conversations with nursing colleagues often started with: ‘I don’t know what I’d do if it wasn’t nursing!’  So, as retirees, we are stuck only with ourselves and no one to tell us what to do or when to do it. A privilege that is not recognized right away. But now that I have recognized it! Wow! Reading, a favourite of mine since childhood, is at the top of my list of things to do. Well, not quite at the top because writing is at the top. In short, I have learned and am learning what to do that is not nursing. (I've crocheted at least three baby blankets, and planning another this winter for a grand-niece.)

My colleagues blessed me with wonderful retirement memories ~ balloons, cookies (thank you Sharlene), brilliant and hilarious conversations, many fantastic gifts, as well as a beautiful rocking chair. I’m afraid that rocking chair right now is merely decorative. It hasn’t become my reading chair just yet and my brand new great granddaughter is 1,813.1 km. away! In my career, I was privileged to know and work with so many amazing people from all disciplines. In retirement, I am privileged to have a lovely pink bucket full of best wishes from my colleagues at VIHA and my family. To pull them out and read them again warms my heart. Will I be driving a race car (one suggestion)? Something I've always felt I should do, but writing a story about driving a race car would be much safer ~ for everyone else on the road or the track.

“Oh, the places you’ll go.”
~ Dr. Seuss

No comments: